A posse cut is typically a song which features verses from 4 or more different artists, and is something that has been apparent in Hip Hop since the beginning. Some good examples are 1 Train by A$AP Rocky, older DJ Khaled hits such ‘All I Do Is Win’, and any Wu-Tang song with 4 or more members/features. For a long time posse cuts were quite prominent, with there being multiple every year, whether it be on albums such as Khaled/Dj Drama compilations or on remixes of popular songs. This trend started to slow down at the end of the mixtape era and beginning of the streaming era. Although there are still a couple good posse cuts each year, there was a big drop as the 2010s went on.
In saying all that, I feel like 2019 was a really good year for posse cuts, with multiple rap groups or labels releasing group tapes, and there also being a good number of producers releasing tracks featuring a bunch of rappers. With the out of the way, below I’m going to just go through the different albums that came out this year that had multiple posse cuts, as well as list a few other posse cuts that are just loosies or aren’t found on albums yet. To put into perspective what a solid year it’s been for posse cuts, I have a total of 41 Favourites for the year. All these songs are from 2019, have 4 or more artists with verses, and are at the very least enjoyable.
The playlist can be found on Apple Music here!
Or alternatively, on Spotify here!
Dreamville – Revenge Of The Dreamers 3
Dreamville’s ‘Revenge Of The Dreamers 3’ is probably the best collection of posse cuts from 2019. Dreamville is a label lead by rapper J. Cole, and containing himself and other artists JID, EARTHGANG, Bas, Cozz, Omen, Lute & Ari Lennox. This album has a posse cut for every mood, bringing together members from Dreamville’s roster with other talented artists from all around to give us a fun collaboration with everything from smooth R&b cuts to bangers.
My favourites are;
• Down Bad by JID, Bas, Earthgang, J. Cole & Young Nudy
• Don’t Hit Me Right Now by Bas, Cozz, Yung Baby Tate, Guapdad4000 & Buddy
• Wells Fargo by JID, Earthgang, Buddy & Guapdad4000
• Costa Rica by JID, Bas, Guapdad4000, Buddy, Smokepurrp, Ski Mask The Slump God, Reese LAFLARE, Jace & Mez
• 1993 by JID, Earthgang, J. Cole, Cozz, Smino & Buddy
• Got Me by Ari Lennox, Omen, Ty Dolla $ign & Dreezy
• Sacrifices by Earthgang, J. Cole, Saba & Smino
Beast Coast – Escape From New York
In 2019 we finally saw the release of an album by the Beast Coast collective, titled ‘Escape From New York’. Beast Coast is a collective made up of 3 groups and a total of 9 rappers, containing rap trio Flatbush Zombies, the duo The Underachievers, and 4 members of the Pro Era collective; Joey Badass, Kirk Knight, Nyck Caution & CJ Fly. This album is easily the second best collection of posse cuts of the year, with just as many songs making my playlist as ROTD3 (see above). The album as a whole lived up to my expectations, with many amazing songs that have kept me coming back, and a range of different vibes throughout the project.
My favourites were;
• It Ain’t Easy, It Ain’t Easy by Flatbush Zombies, AK, Kirk Knight, CJ Fly & Nyck Caution
• Left Hand by Flatbush Zombies, Underachievers, Joey Badass, Kirk Knight, CJ Fly & Nyck Caution
• Far Away by Meechy Darko, Erick the Arcitect, Joey Badass, Kirk Knight & Nyck Caution
• Snow In The Stadium by Erick The Arcitect, Meechy Darko, Issa Gold, Joey Badass, Kirk Knight & CJ Fly
• Rubberband by Flatbush Zombies & Joey Badass
• Bones by Flatbush Zombies, The Underachievers, Kirk Knight & Nyck Caution
• Puke by Erick The Arcitect, Meechy Darko, AK, Joey Badass & Nyck Caution
Brockhampton – GINGER
Brockhampton is a Boy Band made up of a number of rappers and producers, among others. Most notable are the vocal artists Kevin Abstract, Matt Champion, Dom McLennon, Merlyn Wood, Joba & Bearface. Some people may not consider these posse cuts due to the fact they don’t feature anybody, but some songs tick all my boxes of having 4 or more verses, being released this year, and being great. With all that said, the album contains many songs which only have 3 or less artists, as well as songs which aren’t consistent all the way through.
My favourites were;
• St Percy By Kevin Abstract, Matt Champion, Dom McLennon, Bearface & Merlyn Wood
• Boy Bye by Kevin Abstract, Matt Champion, Dom McLennon, Bearface, Joba & Merlyn Wood
• No Halo by Kevin Abstract, Matt Champion, Dom McLennon, Bearface, Joba, Merlyn Wood & Deb Never
Members Only – Members Only, Vol 4
Members Only is a rap collective started by XXXTENTACION & Ski Mask The Slump God, and containing fellow rappers they came up with and grew up with. Members Only, Vol 4 is the first Collaborative project released since the passing of XXX, but regardless is contains a whole bunch of great tracks, and even a couple of thoroughly enjoyable posse cuts.
My personal favourites were;
• Hi Wendy! by Xxxtentacion, Bass Santana, Kin$oul, Kid Trunks & Flyboy Tarantino
• Touch Eem Body by Xxxtentacion, Bass Santana, Kin$oul & Reddz
Talk Money Entertainment – Talk Money Tape 2
The Talk Money Tape 2 is a collaborative effort by Jay Critches label/crew, Talk Money Entertainment. This is another example of another great group project in 2019, bringing together a whole lot of artists for a bunch of fun and enjoyable posse cuts.
My favourites were;
• Intro by Jay Critch, Vendetta, Mally Bandz, Mari Mac, Matches, Damii & RicoBaby
• 4 For 4 by Jay Critch, Vendetta, Mari Mac, Matches & Damii
Quality Control – Control The Streets, Vol. 2
The second installment to the Quality Control Music label’s ‘Control The Streets’ series follows the same formula as the first, mixing QC favourites such as Lil Yachty & Migos with a range of outsiders such as Gucci Mane, Meek Mill & Dababy. The result is many many good songs, with everything from pop hits to club bangers, and of course some great posse cuts.
My personal favourites were;
• Intro by Migos, Lil Yachty & Gucci Mane
• Leave Em Alone by Layton Greene, Lil Baby, City Girls & PnB Rock
And So Many Others!
The following are all the other amazing posse cuts of the year. Most of these are either; the only posse cut on the respective album, the only good posse cut from the album, or aren’t found on an album at all.
• Pivot Gang – Carnival (ft. Joseph Chilliams, Saba, Frsh Waters, Mfn Melo, Sylvan LaCue & Benjamin Earl Turner)
• Berner & Mozzy – Ayy (ft. YG & Logic)
• Yung Gravy – The Boys Are Back In Town (ft. Pouya, Ramirez & TrippythaKid)
• E-40 – Chase The Money (ft. Quavo, Roddy Ricch, ScHoolboy Q & A$AP Ferg)
• Mustard – On God (ft. YG, Tyga, A$AP Ferg & A$AP Rocky)
• Mustard – 100 Bands (ft. Quavo, 21 Savage, Meek Mill & YG
• Powers Pleasant – Vintage Chanel (ft. Meechy Darko, Zombie Juice, Joey Badass & Kirk Knight)
• Higher Brothers – One Punch Man (ft. Ski Mask The Slump God & Denzel Curry)
• Q Money – Neat (remix) (ft. Young Dolph, YFN Lucci, Peewee Longway, Flipp Dinero & G Herbo)
• Buddy – Link Up (ft. Kent Jamz, Bas, Guapdad4000, JID & Ari Lennox)
• Lil Xan – I Might (ft. YBN Nahmir, YBN Almigjty Jay & $teven Cannon)
• Khao – Unified (ft. Ice T, E-40, Snoop Dogg, The Game, Nipsey Hussle, Problem, G Perico & Mozzy)
• Khao – Don’t With Her (ft. Gucci Mane, Lil Baby, YBN Nahmir & Tabius Tate)
• G-Eazy – West Coast (ft. Blueface, YG & ALLBLACK)
• OT Genasis – Bae (remix) (ft. G-Eazy, Rich The Kid & E-40)
• King Combs – Surf (ft. City Girls, AzChike & Tee Grizzley)
• BJ The Chicago Kid – Get Away (ft. JID, Buddy & Kent Jamz)
• Hitmaka – Thot Box (ft. YBN Nahmir, Meek Mill, 2 Chainz, A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie & Tyga)
• Hitmaka – Thot Box (remix) (ft. Young MA, Dreezy, Dreamdoll, Mulatto & Chinese Kitty)
• DJ Snake – Enzo (ft. Sheck Wes, Offset, Gucci Mane & 21 Savage)
Summary and Discussion
And that’s it! In total it comes to 43 quality posse cuts for the year, easily one of the better years in recent times.
What’s your favourite posse cut of the year so far?
Are there any great posse cuts from 2019 that I seem to have missed?
Had any of the above songs flown under your radar? What’s your first impressions?
Thanks for reading!
– Shan –