As I mentioned in my recent review of the album Funeral, Lil Wayne is one of a select few artists that I strongly believe needs no introduction. For 26 years Wayne has been dropping a multitude of albums, mixtapes, singles, and features, and therefore is one of the best known and most successful rappers ever.
Lil Wayne is not one to shy away from releasing projects, averaging more than one full length album or mixtape every year since he started rapping. However, 2019 was one of the only years that Wayne didn’t drop any albums or mixtapes, and therefore left it up to his features on other artists tracks to make an impression.
So Why Is Lil Wayne A Contender For The Best?
Well to put it simply, I feel like it would be unfair to leave Weezy out of any ‘Best Feature Artist’ list as he has been one of the best feature artists of all time, and has certainly been a contender for ‘Best Of The Year’ pretty much every year for the last 15+ years. He has consistently been featured on a plethora of songs each year, often providing an incredible performance, and 2019 was no different.
Below are all the tracks I’ve taken into consideration while doing this write up. All feature Lil Wayne as a feature artist and were released in 2019 (with the exception of one Dec2018 release). I’ve included a little note about why I dislike certain songs just for clarification.
The Good (good song, good Wayne verse)
• T-Pain – Goat Talk (ft. Lil Wayne)
• 2 Chainz – 2 Dollar Bill (ft. Lil Wayne & E-40)
• Rick Ross – Maybach Music VI (ft. John Legend & Lil Wayne)
• Tyga – On Me (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Big K.R.I.T. – Addiction (ft. Lil Wayne & Saweetie)
• Kid Ink – Yuso (ft. Lil Wayne & Saweetie)
• Lil Pump – Be Like Me (ft. Lil Wayne)
• DJ Khaled – Jealous (ft. Chris Brown, Lil Wayne & Big Sean)
• Euro – Talk 2 Me Crazy (ft. Lil Wayne)
• SiR – Lucy’s Love (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Xxxtentacion – School Shooters (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Fat Joe & Dre – Pullin’ (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Lil Tjay – Leaked (remix) (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Imagine Dragons – Believer (ft. Lil Wayne)
• PnB Rock – T-Shirt (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Kash Doll – Kitten (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Dame D.O.L.L.A – Sorry (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Trina – Situation (ft. Lil Wayne)
• LSD (Labyrinth, SIA & Diplo) – Genius (ft. Lil Wayne)
• Netsky – I Don’t Even Know You Anymore (ft. Bazzi & Lil Wayne)
• Kevin Rudolf – I Will Not Break (ft. Lil Wayne)
The Bad (bad song, bad feature, or both)
• Dj Kay Slay – They Want My Blood (ft. Lil Wayne & Busta Rhymes) lacking, disappointing considering
• Tory Lanez – Thoughts (ft. Lloyd & Lil Wayne) boring, too long
• DJ Khaled – Freak N You (ft. Lil Wayne & Gunna) average verses from Wayne n Gunna
• Trippie Redd – Hell Rain (ft. HoodyBaby & Lil Wayne) nothing too exciting at all
• Chris Brown – Need A Stack (ft. Lil Wayne & Joyner Lucas) mediocre all round
• Birdman & Juvenile – Ride Dat (ft. Lil Wayne) real average all round
• Jozzy – Sucka Free (ft. Lil Wayne) okay song, average Wayne verse
• Poppy H – Heavy (ft. Lil Wayne) average Wayne verse, poppy h boring
• Spokewheel – Get Your Cool Game Like Mine (remix) (ft. Lil Wayne) real repetitive, trash Wayne feature
So in total that’s 30 total features by Lil Wayne in 2019, and of those there were 21 I liked. For someone who has been in the game for over 20 years these are super impressive numbers, and in comparison to other older rappers such as Snoop Dogg, Gucci Mane or E-40, Wayne takes the crown both in terms of quantity and quality of features. The unfortunate thing for Lil Wayne is that in this case he is going up against a bunch or rising stars such as Lil Baby and DaBaby, both of which had almost double the amount of features, and just as much quality as Wayne.
Lil Wayne has been one of the best feature artists in the game for years now, often going toe to toe with other fantastic rappers, and often adding a well needed rap verse to an otherwise poppy song. In 2019 I felt like he was at his best when rapping alongside frequent collaborators, providing amazing verses on songs by 2 Chainz, Tyga, Rick Ross & T-Pain; 4 artists he has worked with many times in the past. He also linked up with various artists who he had worked with on successful songs in the past, providing a quality verse on ‘Situation’ by Trina, ‘I Will Not Break’ by Kevin Rudolf, and ‘Pullin’ by Fat Joe and Dre. And Wayne has never been one to restrict himself to hiphop, and last year he proved this further, jumping on the R&b track ‘Lucy’s Love’ by SiR; remixing the pop/dance track ‘Genius’ by Diplo, SIA & Labyrinth; and providing an amazing rap verse on the alt rock song ‘Believer’ by the band Imagine Dragons. All in all, it seemed like Wayne was popping up all over the place in 2019, and more often than not he would contribute to making the song better overall.
So overall I think Lil Wayne had another really impressive year as a feature artist in 2019, but in comparison to some of the newer artists he falls short in just about every category. Whereas most artists I’ve written about have had 2019 as one of their best so far, this is far from the case with Wayne, and if you were to go through his features by year then I wouldn’t be surprised if 2019 wasn’t even in Wayne’s top 5 best years. So although I think Wayne had an impressive year, he isn’t really a front runner for ‘Best Of 2019’, with less consistency than artists like JID or Denzel Curry, and less quantity of features in comparison to artists like DaBaby & Gunna.
My favourite Lil Wayne features in 2019 were on ‘Addiction’ by Big K.R.I.T, ‘Believer’ by Imagine Dragons, ‘Be Like Me’ by Lil Pump, ‘Kitten’ by Kash Doll, ‘2 Dollar Bill’ by 2 Chainz, & ‘Pullin’ by Fat Joe and Dre.
What were your favourite Lil Wayne features of 2019?
Were there any features that I missed?
Contender 8 – Lil Baby (includes links to past contenders)
Thanks For Reading!
– Shan –